Student Library Assistants (SLA) are 4th and 5th grade student volunteers who assist in the Library Media Center (LMC) between 7:25 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. They are selected from those students who apply. Students may receive an application from the LMC staff. Students, who enroll in Barack H. Obama Elementary Magnet School of Technology after September, may pick-up an application from the LMC if additional SLAs are needed.
Student Library Assistants should present themselves as a role model for other students and an ambassador for the school. SLA duties are to assist the library staff with the function and maintenance of the LMC. The main task of the SLA is to shelve and straighten the books, magazines/newspapers, and videos on the shelves daily between 7:25 a.m. and 7:35 a.m. SLA’s may assist in the afternoons from 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. with special permission from Mrs. Keeton and approval of their homeroom teacher. Other tasks include but are not limited to:
- Greeting and hosting guests
- Assisting with unpacking and processing new books and weeding materials
- Assisting other SLAs who may need assistance completing tasks
- Assisting with photographing and keeping a photographic log of school activities
- Assisting students, parents, faculty and staff with LMC resources and technology
- Promoting, setting-up and assisting with library programs and events
- Actively participating in school-wide literacy and technology initiatives i.e. 25 Book Campaign, Accelerated Reader, Literacy Week, GA Media Festival, Reflections, etc.
- Exploring and learning technologies available through the LMC resources
- **Setting-up, videotaping and packing-up for the morning broadcast if the 7:30 – 7:45 assigned tasks are completed
SLAs are to wear the school uniform daily.· U
- Uniform polo style shirts: white, red, navy blue, or a spirit shirt from any Barack H. Obama Elementary club, event, or sport logo
- Uniform skirts/skorts/shorts/pants/jumpers: Navy Blue, Khaki, or blue jeans with a belt if belt loops are present
- Shoes: (Students should wear dress shoes for assemblies and hosting guests.)
- Accessories: Accessories should match the school colors
*Students who have missing classwork or homework assignments in any class during the month of August should not apply. SLAs that receive a referral or misbehaves throughout the school may be placed on probation for a period of two weeks at Mrs. Keeton’s discretion.
**SLAs will be placed in a rotation to broadcast as they demonstrate efficiency in completing their regular duties.
- Complete the application.
- Have your parents sign.
- Have a teacher to provide a recommendation.
- Return the application to Mrs. Keeton in the LMC.
- You will be notified by invitation.
I look forward to working with you during the school year.